Published Resources Details Book Section
- Defeat in the Atlantic? Anti-submarine Warfare 1917-19
- Warship 2002-2003
- Conway Maritime Press Ltd., London, 2003, pp. 126-166
It is often said that the U-boat was not defeated in the First World War and that the outcome of the campaign was a stalemate. This article will show that the U-boat was indeed defeated by 1918 and that the chance of any resurgence in 1919 was slight.
During the war the U-boats had three primary objectives:
• Weakening the Grand Fleet to reduce it to the level of the High Seas Fleet;
• Defeating the UK by starvation;
• Preventing the US Army reaching France.
They failed in all three, although the margin by which they were defeated in the war against merchant ships was small.