Published Resources Details Journal Article
- The Howell Torpedo
- The Engineer
- vol. 66, 17 August 1888, pp. 144-145
The Howell torpedo invented by Post-Captain Howell, U.S. Navy, whose patents thereon were first acquired by an American Company formed to develop it as a weapons system. On the 1st of February 1888, the Hotchkiss Ordnance Company, of London, purchased all the patents, and began manufacturing the torpedo in France and the United States of America. The 8ft. Howell was 13.3in. in diameter, and carried an explosive charge of 70 lb.; the weight of the flywheel was 110 lb. and the total weight of the torpedo was 325 lb.