Published Resources Details Journal Article
- Defences of Port Phillip
- vol. 29, 18 June 1880, p. 474
'The Victorian Minister of Public Works, accompanied by Colonel Scratchley and a number of other gentlemen, has inspected the Port Phillip Harbour defences. Swan Island which has recently been purchased by the Victorian Government as a site for a fort to protect the West Channel, in accordance with a recommendation of Sir William Jervois, was first visited, and about an hour was spent in going over it. Afterwards the defence works at Queenscliffe were visited, and a short stay was made there. It was the intention of the minister to call at the South Channel Fort, now in the course of erection, on the way home, but on account of the lateness of the hour that item had to be left out of the programme.'