Published Resources Details Journal Article
- The Sims-Edison Torpedo
- vol. 51, 1 May 1891, p. 536
The facility and precision with which energy could be applied at a distance by electricity was beautifully illustrated at a private trial of the Sims-Edison torpedo which took place at the yard of the Forges et Chantiers de la Mediterranee at Havre. The torpedo was the invention of Mr. w. Scott Sims, and had been subjected to severe tests on the other side of the Atlantic by the American naval authorities, for whom several of these torpedoes were already under construction. The torpedo consisted of two parts. The upper was merely a float from which was suspended the torpedo; this contained the explosive, the controlling cable, a 40 horse-power motor working the 30-inch screw, and a polarised relay that worked the steering apparatus.