Published Resources Details Journal Article
- Armoured torpedo boat destroyers for the Argentine Government
- The Engineer
- vol. 81, 22 May 1896, p. 513
In previous destroyers, the side plating above water was of normal thickness throughout the length of the vessel; but it was recognised that the protection of the vitals of a warship - her propelling machinery, boilers etc. was of far greater importance than a slight reduction in speed. The torpedo boat destroyers built by Messrs. Yarrow and Company, Poplar, for the Argentine Government were provided with this protection and the shape of their hulls above water were modified so that all "tumbling home" was eliminated, thus allowing their decks to be the full width of the ship, and their bows were made with a considerable flare in order to throw off the seas when going against them, thus keeping the decks drier.