Published Resources Details Journal Article
- New torpedo boats
- The Engineer
- vol. 66, 5 October 1888, p. 285
It was reported in The Times that the recent naval manoeuvres had probably done more to demonstrate the exact role that torpedo boats would play in future warfare than any previous experiments. They had clearly proved that the first-class torpedo boats in use at the time were both seaworthy and safe in bad weather, but if these vessels stayed at sea in these conditions for any length of time the crews became so physically exhausted that they had great difficulty performing their normal duties. Difficulties were also experienced with supplying first-class torpedo boats with coal and water. This was not the case with second-class torpedo boats, which were designed to be hoisted onto the decks of the vessels that they were attached to. New first-class torpedo boats (length 130 feet, beam 13 feet 6 inches; estimated speed 22 and a half knots) based upon the design of torpedo boat No. 79 were being built for the British Government by Yarrow and Co. of Poplar. These new boats were to have improved arrangements for their armament. In the past these vessels had been armed with five torpedo tubes; in the new vessels these had been reduced to three, one in the bow and two near the stern. The torpedoes were to be ejected by means of gunpowder impulse, which had relaced the older and more complicated compressed air system. In addition to their torpedo armament the new boats carried several machine guns and a powerful electric light on the conning tower.