Published Resources Details Journal Article
- A remarkable trial trip
- The Engineer
- vol. 63, 29 April 1887, pp. 326-327
The second of two twin-screw torpedo boats (length 140 feet, beam 14 feet, draught 5 feet 4 inches, displacement 100 tons; trial speed 25.101 knots) fitted with two 1,400 indicated horsepower (total) compound marine engines operating on steam supplied by two locomotive boilers, and armed with two quick-firing Nordenfeldt guns, two bow torpedo tubes and two torpedo mounted on a turntable aft for side discharge, built by Messrs. Yarrow and Co., Poplar, for the Italian Government, achieved a maximum speed of 27.272 knots making it the fastest boat in the world at the time.